- This event has passed.
Big Red: Ancient Redwood Hike
September 7, 2019 @ 8:45 am - 5:00 pmFree
Join Sanctuary Forest on Saturday, September 7, for the Big Red: Ancient Redwood Hike. The hike will be led by Sanctuary Forest board member Stuart Moskowitz and long-time restorationist Richard Gienger. It will be held in a section of virgin Mattole headwaters forest, untouched by logging and rarely entered by humans. Hike leaders will take participants from the Mattole River to the ridge top and back to the Mattole along a rugged trail that winds through the forest. Along the way leaders will share stories about the Mattole community’s historic efforts to preserve different areas of this forest, including the 2,000 year old Big Red, which sparked the creation of Sanctuary Forest in 1987.
- Please meet at the Sanctuary Forest office in Whitethorn at 8:45 a.m. The hike will end between 4 and 5 pm.
- Bring a lunch, plenty of water and wear sturdy hiking shoes.
- This is a rigorous, steep, approximately 5-mile hike on uneven terrain—there is also a very steep, slippery downhill section towards the end. This is a group excursion, and participants are asked to stay together at all times.
- The hike is free of charge, though donations are gladly accepted and help Sanctuary Forest offer this program year after year.
- For questions or clarifications, contact Anna at email@example.com, or call 986-1087 x 9#. Hope to see you there!
Support from volunteers and local businesses have made this program possible for Sanctuary Forest. Local businesses that have made generous contributions are: 101 Netlink, John & Teresa Porter, Blue Star Gas, The Bootleg, Caffe Dolce, Charlotte’s Perennial Gardens, Chautauqua Natural Foods, Coffee Break, Dazey’s Supply, Future Productions, Greenwired, Gyppo Ale Mill, Hohstadt’s Garden Center, Karen Miclette Insurance Agency, J. Angus Publishing, Madrone Realty, Mattole River Studios, Monica Coyne: Artist Blacksmith, Ned Harwood Construction, Pierson Building Center, Randall Sand & Gravel, Redwood Properties, The Security Store, Signature Coffee, Southern Humboldt Fitness, Sylvandale Gardens, Whitethorn Construction, Whitethorn Winery, Wyckoff’s Plumbing.
Sanctuary Forest is a land and water trust whose mission is to conserve the Mattole River watershed and surrounding areas for wildlife habitat and aesthetic, spiritual, and intrinsic values in cooperation with our diverse community.